Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Independence & more...



Shop news: Working on "Gardening is Not For Wimps!" Shh, don't tell...


So, since today is Cinco de Mayo, kind of a Mexican independence day & I think that independence should be celebrated, I've decided to start out with this as a theme for today! Happy Cinco de Mayo! Here's to independence!
I started my shop as kind of a marker of independence, when I was restructured from my job of over 10 years, last year. I don't think I would have ever started it otherwise. I was working full time & all wrapped up in work. I didn't have much time for anything else & while it had it's points, it was not a creative job, at least not in any traditional sense. Having a creative outlet is very important for me & while I created programs for increasing sales, in one way or another, this was not enough. The people I worked with did not necessarily see me as a creative person & as creativity is a driving force for me, this tore me up inside. I was devastated when I lost my job, I'd been with the company for a very long time & had done a lot for the stores in which I worked, but this gave me the independence to try a different path, one that I might not have tried before. I still have to work a job, in order to pay bills, etc. I have what is supposed to be a part time position, but in reality has been pretty much full time hours. I try not to get too involved, but I miss being more of a part of a store, the challenges of driving sales & marketing in a pre-existing environment, something I did well. I won't get this in the current job, but if I move on in the company, how many hours will that involve? Will that take away from my creative instincts? I struggle with the question of trying for something more at work (this is what's paying the bills right now) & the independence of my own shop, the creativity that making "stuff" involves, telling a story with my objects. Marketing, in this environment, is incredibly challenging. Can I do both? For how long? Part time hours may not be enough for survival, plus there's the less tangible loss of control & lack of creativity that the current job entails. The rewards aren't there yet, in the shop, but a little of me might perish if I don't try. Interesting questions...
In honor of the day, I thought that I would tell you of a delicious discovery I made the other day, while experimenting with a recipe for tamale pie. The recipe was from the back of a package of white corn meal, kind of a more traditional version of a non-traditional dish & it called for hamburger meat, as part of the filling. I decided I would try using chorizo instead & it was amazing! Try it yourself. I drained of most of the fat, but left a little, as this is where a lot of the flavor is & I thought it would be nice absorbed into the corn meal/masa base. I added a bit of sugar to the base, as I like it a bit sweeter, but did not want it too sweet, or necessarily like corn bread. You could use any tamale pie recipe you want & alter it in this way. I liked the more traditional feel of this one. It's great just with a salad/vegetable. Maybe it would make a good Cinco de Mayo celebration meal! A bit of cervesa might be good too, just sayin'
So, celebrate Cinco de Mayo & independence today & have a good one!

No comments: