Saturday, July 2, 2011

Writer's Club: 80's fashion...


So, the question today is: if I cold keep a fashion style from the 80's it would be...The short, unrealistic answer is I love the eighties & I'd keep it all, but the reality is  that there are things that I actually love & many things that I would want to go away forever. I dislike eighties shoulder pads, for instance, those huge linebacker things that swallowed your neck &  were completely out of proportion to the human form. Great, if they're a piece of sports equipment, not so great for professional, business attire. Power shoulders, yikes & they used to put these in everything, even really lightweight tops, a terrible combination. So, I was never a fan of the "Dynasty" look.
I did love the contrasts, the idea that you could throw out the rules. You could wear combat boots with skirts or a motorcycle jacket with a lacy top. Madonna was wearing bra tops out in the open. Slips were worn as dresses & Doc Marten's were being worn with pretty skirts. There were contrasts, but it was still all about the balance. People had Mohawks & safety pins. Torn jeans & slashed tees weren't being thrown away, but were sought after. So sought after that manufacturers were pre tearing, pre fading. The difference between worn in & real street fashion & the pre made kind was easy to spot. No matter what they did or how much they charged, they just couldn't match what was going on in the street. 

If I could keep anything from the eighties or have anything come back, it would be the street fashion & the sense of change, of balance in contrasts, the good, bad & ugly all in one glorious mix.  SAM





9 comments:

Alexis of NorthOnHarper said...

Those are some of my fav things from the 80s--- but the best part is, I think you can still adopt this!

Unknown said...

So true! I love seeing these things reflected in fashion magazines, the same spirit, but updated just a bit.

Tamara Dawn said...

Ooh how I miss the eighties. I would have to say that I don't miss the jeans that came up to nearly your rib cage (yay for low rise!) I do miss the frilly skirts, the lace gloves, the rubber band bracelets, and ripped t-shirts and sweat shirts. Ahhh brings me back! I hear Madonna singing "Dress you up in my love..." lol

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Oh, I loved the look of Doc Martens with pretty skirts! I could never pull that off, but loved that look!!

Kandy said...

The 80's ROCKED!!!!!!! =)

Thanks for visiting my blog =) Returning the love

Erika Price said...

LOL!!! I remember going to work one day wearing something with big shoulder pads, and my boss said "Oh yeah, and what time does the gridiron game start?" !!!!! Erika

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Tamara- I hated (& still hate) those high waisted pants, they don't look good on anyone, from the super thin on up, just not flattering. They're trying to bring them back, too, sort of a retro thing.

Debbie- That was my absolute, favorite thing. I couldn't get real Doc's, though, until more recently. I so wanted a pair!

Kandy- Yes they did :)

Erika- And everyone thought they were the perfect 'power' look for work! They looked really funny on me, though, my shoulders were kind of small.

Mommybug77 said...

stumbling threw, i so loved the 80's.
http://lifewith4girls.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Stumbled from Stumble Me Friday (sorry I'm so late!!) I hope you link up again this week :)