Monday, February 7, 2011

Made by You Mondays: Photo Editing

So, I thought I'd do something different this time, for Made by You Mondays. Since photo editing is one of my favorite pastimes (ok, not everyone is a fan of photo editing or graphic design, I know, but I love it!) & I've been playing around with making shop banners & ads, I thought I'd post a few for you to see:

This is the first banner that I made. It's a desert shot, that makes a pretty good background. I've kept it as my ArtFire studio banner (ArtFire is based in my 'hometown' Tucson, AZ)  
samsstuff Etsy shop banner I like that it has sort of a retro, Edwardian, Steam punkish kind of feel, good for an Indie shop with one of a kind & vintage items. I like to call it an on line emporium.



Three different versions of the smiley photo used as a banner . I like the green  print best, the blue is a  little plain & the pink is harder to read. The bright colors go well with the smiley's & the green has a bit of an edge, like something from an old film, but not too schlocky, like the pink...
This is the banner I created for my new shop, shellseye. I like green print & the child like writing. It's simple & eye catching & since the shop is photography & fun little embroideries, the graphic with the vintage frames is perfect. I also like the pixelated look, like it's being transmitted through an old TV...


One of my first attempts at an ad. It's ok, but it doesn't catch the eye, well enough  & needs something a little more descriptive, to identify the shop...

My latest attempt at an ad.  It catches the eye & tells you a little about the shop, without cluttering up the ad, too much.

I'm having a lot of fun, maybe I've found a new calling :)
Thanks for letting me share!

Want to know how I did these? I'm not sure that I could retrace all the steps, but I will say, you don't need expensive software or cameras. I use free, readily available programs, sometimes alone, sometimes in layered combinations. Here's a few to try: Picnik (go, go now! I love Picnik. Not like, love), Picasa & Irfanview. Each one has something that the others don't. There are others out there & of course, there's always PhotoShop...


*All the images are my property, feel free to let people know what I've been working on (if you want), but please contact me for any other usage. SAM

Stop by & see what other projects people are working on, here on Skip to My Lou:

 

3 comments:

Sapph said...

Very cool, SAM! I never had much luck with creating graphics and all the rest, so I am very impressed with what you have shown here. Stay crafty!

Unknown said...

Love your work! New follower, follow me back at http://sew-chic-designs.blogspot.com/ when you have the time! I have an Etsy shop as well, check it out on my blog page too :) Thanks!!

Green Monkey said...

never heard of picnic. Love your graphics. Thanks for sharing ~