Thursday, August 12, 2010

Weekly Assignment: The craziest reason I ever got in trouble as a child.

The craziest reason I ever got in trouble as a child...
I actually got in trouble a lot, as a child. Why? You might ask. Was I a bad child, always getting into mischief & never getting the blame? No, wait, that was my brother, hence the crazy reasons (yes, that's reasons, with an s) that I got in trouble. He would do something, many somethings, in fact that was wrong, in so many ways, like obviously cheating in a game & that would usually get us into an argument, me trying to tell him just how wrong, unfair &/or unjust he was being & him ignoring every word I said, even occasionally coming up with some brilliant argument like: "I know you are, but what am I." Sometimes, he even brought the dog into the argument, picking up our poor, unwilling, sweet little dog & saying something like "Fluffy (one of our dogs was named Fluffy) hates you. Don't you Fluffy?" then shaking the dogs' head up & down, in a yes motion. For some reason, this really annoyed me, even though I knew that the dog wasn't really saying that he hated me. Everything escalated from there. My brother wasn't as smart as I was & I wasn't as strong as he was, so I had to outthink him, anticipate every move in order to be faster than him, before he overpowered me. This usually worked, but it resulted in some very long fights, before my mother or father discovered the fight & tried to figure out how it started. Maybe it was because he was younger than I, but the verdict usually came down in his favor. I got in trouble for fights that he started & he got away with a lot. This was crazy to me & I felt rejected & unvindicated. A few years ago, my niece, his daughter, verified that he cheats in games, still! At last, some proof. Better late, than never...
There was one incident, that I remember, that didn't involve my brother. One of my friends, a neighbor from across the street & I decided to walk to a little shop on base. It was actually quite a ways away, but, at that time, parents didn't really think much about letting kids walk around, by themselves, even at our ages: I was about 8 & my friend was about the same age. We walked to the shop & looked around, laughing at some things, wishing we had others. My friend picked up some candy & put it in her pocket. I didn't see her do it, but someone did & when we left the shop, we were stopped & asked questions. I guess it became clear to them that I didn't take anything, so they let me leave, but she stayed behind. I had to walk home alone, but really the scary part was being stopped, as we left the store. I was outside for awhile, after getting home & telling my parents what happened, when I saw her come home in the back of an MP (Military Police) car. They had kept her there & called the MP's, most likely to scare her & keep her from shoplifting, again & just to make more of a point, driven her home, in front of all the neighbors, in a squad car. This probably wouldn't have the same affect, at this point in time, but we were scared enough. Neither of us (as far as I know) ever did anything like that again. Somehow, I generally get in trouble through things that other people do...
So, how about you? What crazy things did you get into trouble for, as a child? SAM

6 comments:

Stef said...

That must have been terrifying as a kid. But I bet she learned her lesson. I totally see my kids doing that. My little one has learned to cry so that his older brother will get in trouble...even though he is the instigator, the little sneak. I'm on to him.

gaelikaa said...

My daughters are always blaming their brother for getting them into trouble.

witchycrazymommy said...

Reading your post made me look back at all the troubles I caused my older sister. Wow! and to think she still loves me! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love my brother now, not so sure about back then...

Bekah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! When my brother was little he took some candy from a store. When my mom found out, SHE took him to the police station and made him fess up!

Betsy Henry said...

Whoa! How scary as a kids! I got caught for little lying around the house....like, Who left this light on? I don't know why I wouldn't say it for me. But when my brother would be about to get in trouble, I'd fess up! Kids can be crazy!