Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why I Hate Post It Notes

So, let me explain: I once had a boss who communicated almost entirely in post-it notes. I grew to hate those little yellow slips of paper plastered everywhere. It's not necessarily that they said anything bad, although there where many little criticisms, they just weren't the most effective or personal form of communication & They Where Everywhere. We worked in a tiny little espresso booth that we rolled, each day, from the back to the front of a grocery store in Gig Harbor, WA. Every morning one of us would come in to a cart covered with these little post-its. They never said anything positive, like great job & that's what made them so annoying (that & the sheer number of yellow squares). The owner was generally a very nice person   & I don't think she meant the notes to be annoyances, I just don't think that she realized how these notes might be interpreted, especially in the wee hours of the morning. I guess what I'm saying here is that it is far better, particularly if you have a lot to say, to communicate personally & to make most of your communication positive, if you happen to be the boss. Your message is far more likely to be heard & your employees are far more likely to respond...
This post is my part in post-it Tuesdays. Check out the button on my sidebar to be taken to the host blog, so you can participate too!

2 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so sad but I do understand our hate for them. Don't you just hate bosses who never compliment their employees.

April said...

So true! Or the roommate who leaves little passive aggressive notes because they can't be mature and confront you to your face. blah. Stopping by from SITS!